2023 SCHOLARSHIP SUBMISSIONS
PURPOSE: The purpose of the Cincinnati Music Theatre Scholarship Program is to encourage and promote the study of theater arts at the collegiate level, particularly musical theater, in both performance and production. Importantly, the CMT Scholarship Program is intended to give back to the Greater Cincinnati area through the support of academic study in recognition of the years of dedicated public interest and support of CMT productions.
CMT, through its scholarship program, will recognize outstanding Cincinnati-area high school seniors who have excelled in various aspects of theater production and/or performance during their high school career and will pursue a college degree in theater arts or theater-related music performance, production or education.
ELIGIBILITY: High school seniors in the Greater Cincinnati area who will be entering college to study theatre/musical arts.
QUALIFICATIONS: Eligible applicants (as described above) must have a GPA of 3.0 or higher (4.0 scale). Applicants must submit an application and portfolio (if applicable). Applications may be emailed to [email protected].
Applications must be received by May 5, 2023, no exceptions.
SELECTION PROCESS: Applications will be reviewed by a committee of 3 to 5 CMT members, one of whom will be a member of the CMT Board of Trustees. A selected group of applicants will be invited to audition/interview for the CMT Scholarship Selection Committee, who will then select the scholarship winner(s).
Selected applicants in performance areas (vocal, instrumental, dance) will be required to audition, including a performance of a musical excerpt from a musical theater production of their choice and – if applicable – a brief dramatic reading. Applicants are instructed to perform two pieces of contrasting styles. All auditions and interviews will be May 17, 2023, in the Jarson Kaplan Theater in the Aronoff Center.
Selected applicants in technical areas (direction, production, stage & technical) will be invited to provide an interview-type review of their previous work/experience as well as participate in an interactive question and answer session on related technical topics. Applicants should be prepared to share their portfolio with the judges.
The CMT Scholarship Selection Committee will have the final decision as to scholarship winners. They will report their decision to the CMT Board no later than two (2) weeks following completion of the auditions/interview process.
AWARDS: The award will be in the form of a check made payable to the institution for the benefit of the winning applicant(s). The recipient may use the award for any expense related to his/her education; i.e. tuition, fees, books, room and board, etc.
Up to three winners may be selected per year, with each award not to exceed the amount of $1,000.
- Auditions will be held individually. We encourage you to sign up and secure your audition time slot HERE to avoid long wait times.
- Walk-ins are welcomed but will be assigned to the first available audition slot.
- Please prepare 16 to 32 bars of one (1) up-tempo song and 16 to 32 bars of one (1) ballad that best demonstrates your vocal ability that is not from The World Goes Round. An accompanist will be provided (no recordings or a cappella numbers).
- Make sure your sheet music is in the proper key and your cuts clearly marked for the accompanist. Vocalizing will also take place to determine vocal range.
- Please bring shoes and clothing appropriate for a dance audition, as you will be asked to participate in a dance choreography combination. The combination will be taught during the audition, but a video of the combination will be available prior to the audition.
- Headshots and resumes are encouraged, but not required.
- Please bring your personal calendar for December 2023-February 2024. You will be asked to complete a conflict form to share your rehearsal availability.
- We are committed to the safety of all members of this production. Please bring proof of your COVID-19 Vaccination. We do require that the cast, crew, and production team be fully vaccinated. QUESTIONS? Please contact Megan Horton, Director – [email protected]